Aug 04, 2016 03:20PM ● Published by Bryan Scott
As we approach the start of the new school year and families are busy with preparations for the return to school, I would like to share a friendly reminder for both drivers and pedestrians.
Head Up, Phone Down when heading to school.
Remember drivers have a lot to pay attention to in school zones too and there is never an occasion that justifies us using a phone while change everything in someone’s life.
Please be careful.
Parents – Here are some useful tips for students walking and riding the bus to school: Walking to School Tips
- Never walk while texting or talking on the phone
- If texting, move out of the way of others and stop on the sidewalk
- Never cross the street while using an electronic device
- Do not walk with headphones on
- Be aware of the surroundings
- Always walk on the sidewalk if one is available; if a child must walk on the street, he or she should face oncoming traffic
- Look left, right, then left again before crossing the street
- Cross only at crosswalks
- Riding the Bus to School Tips
- Go to the bus stop with your child to teach them the proper way to get on/off the bus
- Make sure you stand six feet away (or 3 giant steps) from the curb
- If your child needs to cross the street in front of the bus, walk on the side of the road until you are 10 feet ahead of the bus. You should always be able to see the bus driver, and the bus driver should always be able to see you.
Let’s all have a great school
Thank you, Mayor Johnson