Demolition of Hillcrest Junior High,
Nov 12, 2015 01:40PM
● By Bryan Scott
Demolition of Hillcrest Junior High, originally built in 1911, was underway in September. Originally serving first through eighth grades as Hillcrest School, it was renamed to Murray High and Junior High from 1916-1954, when it served seventh- through 12th-grade students. For six years afterward, it was called Murray High School until a new high school was built. In 1960, the school was renamed to Hillcrest Junior High. To serve students through more than 100 years of operation, the school had five additions throughout the years. The new Hillcrest Junior High (at left) sits adjacent to the old property and opened this school year to about 850 seventh-, eighth- and ninth-grade students after the Aug. 6 dedication.